Garnishees For Income Taxes

2009-04-15   minute read

If Canada Revenue Agency/Revenue Canada ("CRA") has a garnishee on your wages for a specific amount, without filing a formal "process" to stop the garnishee the only ones who can change the amount of the garnishee is CRA.  You could talk to the collector that has your file and see what types of arrangements you can make with them. You may likely need to prepare your budget to show why a $3,500 per month garnishee is too much for you to handle. could look at filing a formal process such as a proposal or possibly a bankruptcy, depending on your situation.  These options would restructure the debt you owe to CRA or look at getting rid of it through a bankruptcy process if you are unable to make payments to them. If they won't accept your voluntary offer of $1,000, a proposal would be a formal process to offer them the same thing....... but in a more formal, binding manner. You may wish to contact one of our Trustees in your area to see if this is an option for you.  See our link at for our various offices. You may also be able to use it as a bargaining tool with CRA. Donna Carson, CGA, CIRP, Trustee

Consultation icon